Quantity: 1 available
Book Condition: Good
[Title page], , -886, -736,  (Registers): 1680 pages, complete. The first edition of Heinrich Schubert's sermons; two parts in one large clasped volume. A solid copy in original binding with sturdy hinges and stable clasp in working order. Pages age-toned but minimal staining. Early signatures of Andreas Jung (1777) and Sophie E. Deithoff. Jung landed in Halifax Nova Scotia on The Ann, 13 September, 1750 and settled in Lunenburg. This volume is directly related to the first Lutheran Church in Canada, The Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lunenburg. "Andreas was an ardent Lutheran. In 1760 he wrote to relatives in Germany, regarding the need of an Evangelist Lutheran Minister; he also noted that peace was made with the Indians. In 1770 he was elected one of the Elders of Zion Lutheran Church. During the construction of the church he contributed voluntary labour, a few materials and money. He was also employed in the construction of the Church, as one of the highest rated artificers and was paid 3 shillings a day. He signed the Membership Roll in 1775 and appears in Church Account Book 1770 - 1785. In addition to being an Elder, he was Church Treasurer from its formation in 1770 until the time of his death in 1808. During the construction of the Parsonage in 1773, lime etc. for mortar and plaster was bought from Casper JUNG." [Chris Young, Seawhy] Indeed we are indebted to Andreas Jung's diligence for chronicling the early years of Lutheranism in the Lunenburg area (see D. Luther Ross: Acadie and the Acadians].
Title: Zeugniss von der Gnade und Wahrheit in Christo, abgeleget in predigten, welche über die ordentliche sonn- und fest-tägliche Episteln zu Potsdam in der Heiligen-Geist-Kirche unter gottlichen beystand, gehalten, und auf vieler Verlangen, mit nothigen...
Edition: First Edition
Publisher: Halle, Verlegung des Wäysenhauses: 1741
Book Condition: Good
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: Books006671
Keywords: Canadian Nova Scotia Lunenburg heritage history Andreas Jung Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church